Karan Johar says Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani is a result of ‘latent anger’ inside him: “You have a way of saying that ‘nothing else matters but your individuality’”

Filmmaker Karan Johar has returned to the big screen as director after seven years with Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani. Starring Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt in the lead roles, the film also stars Dharmendra, Jaya Bachchan, Shabana Azmi, Tota Roy Chowdhury and Churni Ganguly. The film has unanimously received all the love and support from audiences and critics alike. Karan admits that the film is a result of all the pent-up anger over the years.

When asked if the film was a result of his life experiences, Karan Johar told Indian Express, “You know, when I was a child, I was raised by very progressive parents. They gave me the freedom to be who I was. I was a very feminine child, very different from kids in my class or my neighbourhood. Everyone else grew up on pop culture or Western music. I grew up on Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Mohammed Rafi and Kishor Kumar. I sang those songs loudly in a tone-deaf voice. I danced to those songs in my room and my father would think it was great and he would actually ask me to dance in front of his friends. He thought I was expressing myself. He did not realise that I was being feminine or being unusual or different from the other boys. The other kids were not exactly welcoming to this kind of personality.”

Karan Johar continued, “In those days, there was no term that was about your sexual orientation. There was this word ‘pansy’, and it got stuck in my head. Then I was overweight. I seek refuge in food because I could not handle this term that was thrown at me when I went out and met boys, girls from other schools. It was traumatising. I was raised to be this kind of person by my parents and I don’t want to apologise for it to anybody. And I think this film is an expression of that.”

He added, “This film is a lot of me rebelling, not only my childhood, but there is a latent anger that you build with what has happened in the last couple of years and then you have a way of saying that ‘nothing else matters but your individuality.’”

On the work front, Karan Johar will next direct an actioner which he announced on his 50th birthday last year. ALSO READ: Karan Johar on massive success of Sunny Deol's Gadar 2: "It is breaking every record"



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/coTHUnR
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment