EXCLUSIVE: Rajshri Deshpande on Privacy I have to have fun while doing films else I would have worked in corporate

Filmmaker Sudeep Kanwal’s Hindi movie Privacy has an intriguing subject of a woman cop who is an operator of the surveillance cameras in Mumbai. The film, which stars Rajshri Deshpande in the lead role of Roopali, recently had its world premiere at the ongoing Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival aka BIFAN in Bucheon, South Korea, where it was met with a positive response.

Following the film’s premiere, Rajshri Deshpande told Bollywood Hungama in an exclusive conversation on the reason for becoming a part of Privacy, apart from the story and narrative. “As an actor, I like to do complex and layered characters,” she said. “I am a curious actor. I enjoy that process. The people involved in it. I am a festival baby. I love independent filmmaking, the process and the people. The teams come with a lot of passion.”

When asked about what exactly is her character, she said, “You have to watch the film (laughs). She is basically an everyday person. She comes from a small town in a big city probably with dreams and aspirations. But maybe (she) got stuck with a mundane life.”

In the past, Rajshri has played real characters in projects like Manto and the web show Trial By Fire. But for a film like Privacy, she said one had to create the character. She said Roopali is a kind of a character you know since she is dealing with certain things. “I had to understand the background of this character, the kind of circumstances she had gone through, how she is carrying those circumstances, what must have happened and how she is dealing with all kinds of issues in the world where she is working,” she said.

Speaking about the kind of projects she likes to be a part of, Rajshri said, “The only thing I avoid is if it’s not written well or portrayed in a derogatory way and it shouldn’t be like a tokenism of something.”

The actress added that she is always eager for some good, original and real scripts. “I just want people to write life; what they see,” she said. “People have forgotten to write real emotions or feelings nowadays. There is so much we have around us and people have forgotten that. They are trying to make something which is a formula based. And I don’t think there is any formula in our life. Life is made into smaller emotions and spaces.”

When asked whether she receives offers to act in commercial entertainers, she said, “I do, of course. It depends. If I don’t like the character, I don’t want to be a part of any ensemble also. I have to like what they are trying to do. We are still not there. If you look at the commercial space, very few are trying to have any ensemble team together. I don’t want to be a part of like, ‘O you are a good actor, we want you because we are packing our project with a star.’ I have been offered something like that but I don’t want to be a part of that.”

Hence, Rajshri is happy with the independent space. “I am absolutely fine getting lesser money and lesser people know me, but I am having fun in the independent space. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be a part of commercial cinema; I want to. But then, write well. And I have to have some fun. I am in the industry for that. Else, I would have worked in corporate,” she added.

As far as the premiere of Privacy is concerned, the team almost missed the red carpet because of the flight delay. “The red carpet was from 6 pm to 7 pm. We reached the airport at 6 pm. And within five minutes in the washroom of the airport, I got ready and wore a saree. We reached at 6:57. I was literally running and then slowly walked the red carpet,” she said.

But it all was worth because of the response Privacy got from the audience in South Korea. “They are very nice and warmest people. They saw the tiniest of details. I think so many people may miss out (on those details). This film needs your attention,” she said.

Like many Indians, Rajshri too is fond of Korean content. “I think the way they have evolved with their content; their independent space is very interesting. The actors are really great,” she said.

Also Read: EXCLUSIVE: Ashish Vidyarthi on Rajshri Deshpande in Trial By Fire, “It’s one of the finest performances in recent years”



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/lydt3To
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment