EXCLUSIVE: Mukesh Bhatt speaks up on his 70th birthday; opens up about box office scenario: “It has gotten worse. One blockbuster in the form of Pathaan doesn’t change the industry, does it?”

One of the most respected producers of Bollywood, Mukesh Bhatt, turns 70 today. On this special occasion, he gave a rare and exclusive interview to Bollywood Hungama wherein he spoke about his plans for the day and a lot more.

You have turned 70 today. How does it feel? Age is a number in the head. I have met a lot of 30-year-old kids who are older than me! So, it’s a game of the mind. If you feel old, you’ll be old. There are people who mentally feel old or they physically abuse your body so badly that their body starts rattling and gives an indication that they have become old. Fortunately, I have not abused my body. God has been kind. I have always been an active person. I have kept my mind alert and agile.

Has your family planned a bash to celebrate your 70th birthday? Yes. I could sense they are planning something behind my back!

Do you like such surprise bashes? See, I am not a spoilsport. If there’s something that’s giving them joy and they want to pamper their father whom they love a lot, why should I deprive them of the good feeling that they have for me? And who doesn’t enjoy being pampered? Pampering is something you enjoy whether you are 2 years old or 70 years old. It doesn’t change. Also, I think I have earned it and I deserved it. I think I need to be pampered for a change. I have worked too hard for it.

I have come a long way. I feel the time has come for me to allow myself to be pampered and not feel apologetic about it. I owe it to myself. For some stupid reason, we feel guilty to pamper ourselves. I have been in this situation. All the time, I was looking out for others whether it was my family, friends or office employees. There comes a time when you do feel, ‘Hello! What about me’? That doesn’t mean you are selfish.

Moreover, during the Covid-19 phase, a lot of people were forced to pause, sit down and rethink the life they are leading. We had the habit of running and being on one marathon run without even thinking or pausing. Covid gave us that chance to reflect. It did a lot of good for me. It cleared my outlook towards life and all those around me. I feel so happy that there’s a lot of clarity. There are no cobwebs in my head anymore at the age of 70.

Speaking of the box office, the year 2022 was a tough one for Bollywood. Do you think that the box office has improved this year? On the contrary, it has gotten worse. A lot of films have not worked. One blockbuster in the form of Pathaan doesn’t change the industry, does it? There was a time when there used to be a release every week. There used to be maara-maari to get theatres. Now, you have one release coming in about 1 ½ months.

You mean Zara Hatke Zara Bachke? Yes. Which was the big release before that?

The Kerala Story, 5 weeks back… 5 weeks mein ek bhi badi film release nahin hui. Aisa suna tha aapne pehle? This means that there is a lull. That’s because there are no buyers. Aap film bana toh loge lekin use release kaun karega? Some people want to lie and kid themselves that everything is fine. I don’t belong to the fantasy world. First, we tell lies and then we start believing in those lies.

How do we come out of this tough situation? Things won’t change unless we don’t work at real costs. I am not telling you to cut corners haphazardly. A rupee saved is not a rupee earned. A rupee well spent is a rupee earned. We have to make films at the right costs. Also, the industry is not making films. They are trading, ‘Itne paiso mein banao, itne mein bacho aur itne mein maal andar karo’. That party is over. There was a time when we used to make films only when we felt that we had a compelling story for a larger audience. That should be the base for any film. Don’t just run behind money. Instead, make a good film and let it touch viewers’ hearts. Then, money automatically follows you.

Also Read: Mukesh Bhatt reveals Kartik Aaryan starrer Aashiqui 3 will feature all original music; says, “It has to be better than the first two, and it has to be entirely original”



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/tTd91Gw
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment